28 May 2009

Dear Blankey:


Dear Blankey:

I am sorry I finally left you at home for good. I know I have tried to move on without you a few times in my life, and yet I always came back-- starting jr. high, starting high school, turning 16, graduating from high school, starting college, getting married... But this time it is for good.

I will always remember the comfort you gave me throughout the past 22 years-- vacations, car rides, sleepless nights, scary movies, crazy-emotional teenage problems, "owee's", sleepovers, road trips, etc..

All the teasing I endured as I grew older was totally worth it. I remember especially being teased as I grew older, even though I was still in elementary school, for keeping you around by the family. Little did they know, I kept you around for over 10 more years- HA! Thankfully, my Mom, Dad, Cliffy, close friends, AND Kevin, accepted us and never forced us to part. Until now...

I am 22 years old and your once warm, thick, actual blanket status is now, basically, a rag/ball of string. Please don't take it personal that I tried to replace you many, many times over the years. But like if you noticed, those replacements never worked; how could they compare?! Instead, I dealt with washing you by hand, rather than throwing you in the wash machine. Yet, I don't think you will make it much longer. I know you took a hard turn for the worse when I put you in my college dorm washer/dryer and I am sorry.

I will mostly miss your soft touch and the endless moments I spent "zone-ing out". The special way I "petted/twiddled my fingers on" you will never be forgotten. If only there was some type of botox or rejuvenator for blankeys....Luckily my dad is one to save basically everything, especially childhood memoirs. So you will be safe.

You were the only toy/thing I never got over or sick of I will always love you and you will never be forgotten.

Love, Lisa


The "Early Years"
Notice my hand "petting" (that is what I called it when I was little) my blankey. Yes, the thumb-sucking stopped a while ago.

My blankey went everywhere with me



20 Years Later
Ya, I know...


So long good friend...

4 comments:

  1. Your letter makes me want to cry. Are you sure you are ready to abandon "Blankey"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa I love this post. I had a blankie too when I was little that I was so attached to that wore out. I couldn't give the blankie habit up though I had to replace the worn out ones. I still have one to this day, and you know how old I am lol........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a moment of silence for "blankie". I will never forget how much comfort it gave you and how much you loved it. I'm sure it was a very hard and emotional day for you both.
    Love,
    Aunt Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Lisa, this is so cute! I totally have a blankey too, only problem is - I got it at my BRIDAL SHOWER.

    ReplyDelete