For my whole life, up until last September,
I HATED OATMEAL.
And I hated the fact that I hated it.
The bizarre thing was that I loved oatmeal cookies
Weird huh?
In years past, I would periodically give it a try, just to see if my taste buds had a change of heart.
Never happened.
My brother and I never ate oatmeal as kiddies and I blame that as my reason for not liking oatmeal.
ButI loved the smell of oatmeal, especially the cinnamon and brown sugar kind and I loved all "oat" items.
Why not actual oatmeal?
This drove me crazy!
Last September, I woke up one morning and had no desire to eat dry cereal.
(I go through these phases of finding something I like, then eating it everyday until I get sick of it, followed by me finding something new to eat everyday. rinse,lather, repeat.)
Cereal had lost it's high standing with me that particular morning.
I looked through the cupboards and just wasn't "feelin' anything".
As my eyes continued to rescan my options, Kevin's box of instant oatmeal packages caught my eye.
"Hmm... maybe today's the day"
I noticed he had a lot of the apple flavor left.
So I decided to give the fruity flavor a try, rather than the normal cinnamon and brown sugar.
I've seen Kevin make his instant oatmeal plenty of times, but still decided to check out the directions on the box.
What has Kevin been doing all these years?!
He made oatmeal completely wrong according to Mr. Quaker.
*Mental note: Tell Kevin he makes his oatmeal wrong.
I proceeded with the preparation of my hopefully new favorite breakfast food.
And there I was...
Me against apple instant oatmeal.
Is today the day?
Would my taste buds finally accept oatmeal?
I took a bite.
Chewing.
Thinking.
Tasting.
Not bad...
Fruity oatmeal was definitely different.
And tasted much better.
Hallelujah.
The day has come!
7 Months later...
Since that glorious morning, I have eaten oatmeal everyday.
Haven't even got sick of it yet either!
After enjoying all the different fruit oatmeal flavors,
I was able to move on to cinnamon and brown sugar!
Wonderful.

<3 oatmeal... I ate it like everyday when i was pregnant.
ReplyDeleteYou ol'ma never made oatmeal cereal for you and Cliff because she had her fill of it as a kid and is DONE. And Dad says "he don't bake." Agree that the cookies are the BEST!
ReplyDelete