One of the many traditions my family had while growing up, was going up to the Apple Hill area and cutting down our Christmas tree!
We did this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.
As a kid, I loved it.
Mainly because Cliff & I had the chance to help choose the tree for the year. But mostly because we always got Carmel-covered apples before heading home.
Now that my parents are just a bit older, and Cliff & I are no longer living at home, the tradition of cutting down our Christmas tree has retired. Face it, with out the help of the studly-strong son, a 50-something year old man, might have a bit of trouble hiking up a mountain and carrying down a 10 foot tree by himself.
That's life.
So my parents now have ...
dun-dun-dun!!!
A fake tree.
At first I could hardly notice. The fake trees these days look so real! But once I stuck my nose in the air, in hopes of that fresh Christmas tree smell, the realization of the fake tree in our midst was ever so real.
Sad.
But that's nothing a scented candle can't fix!
So my conclusion...
Fake Christmas trees ain't too bad!
BUT...
I would like to carry on the tradition of picking out a Christmas tree and chopping it down when Kevin and I have children of our own; along with having advent calendars of course.
(I open my last chocolate tomorrow!)
Here is what the Christmas tree at the Laudato home looks like this year:
Another tradition my family had while growing up, was that my mom would buy my brother and I a Hallmark ornament! My theme was always kittens. Up until I got married, my mom would get me the kitten from the "mischievous kittens" series each year. So that means I have 22 kitten ornaments! For now, they will continue to decorate my parents tree, but once Kevin and I have an official Christmas tree of our own, the kitten ornaments will be relocated.
Now that Kevin and I are married, my mom has switched ornament themes and has gotten us an ornament to share. And this is what it looks like this year:
No comments:
Post a Comment