21 December 2009

The Drive

We began our drive home a little after 6AM, Saturday morning.
Our destination:
SACRAMENTO
Wahoo!

This was my first time driving home in the month of December. Usually, my brother and I would fly home for Christmas because the weather is just too "iffy" and sometimes they shut down the freeway through Donner's Pass because of all the snow. Last year, we were with Kevin's family for Christmas, so the drive was avoided. But this year, the weather seemed to be good, so we made the drive to mi familia!
Right after driving through Salt Lake, we hit FOG. I have never really dealt with bad fog too much before, but this fog was terrible at some points.

It was like we were driving through space because we couldn't see anything.

I hated it.

Mainly because I had to drive slower, which is the lamest of all lames when you are driving a long distance, through stinky Nevada, when it's someone special's b-day, and you are only 1 hour into the trip.


Not gonna lie, I was kind of scared. I kept imagining running into some animal standing in the middle of the road. I didn't slow down too much because I refused to allow for this trip to be any longer than the normal 9 hours because of stupid fog. I figured since I knew we were driving through flat dirt, we would be safe.

The fog lasted for about 6 hours of the drive.
It made me hate Nevada even more.

Luckily, we came across another car on the road. I decided to follow it so that way I wouldn't be the one to hit the imagined animals standing in the middle of the road. He was going the speed limit, which was sweet. I was daring enough to go as fast as he was.

(If Kevin was the one driving during the heaviest parts of the fog, we would still be on our way here!)
When we stopped for gas, this is what the Corolla looked like.
Who knew fog could make super-hard, snow-looking ice?!


These ice blocks on the side mirrors were nuts! We could kind of see them from the inside of the car and we could tell they were getting bigger and bigger. But we had no idea it was a block of ice!


Poor antenna :(


Luckily we made it home safe!
The fog added an additional 30min to our drive.
Not TOO bad.

It's so nice to be Home Sweet Home :)





No comments:

Post a Comment