Kevin.
He was unlike every guy I had ever dated, and I loved it.
Here's how it all started...
Before I met Kevin, I had been dating different guys, nothing serious. I was going back and forth between the decision of dating seriously or concentrating on school.
(Even though it was my 3rd year at BYU, I still wasn't taking school seriously, but at least by then I had decided on a major!)
I remember reminiscing with my roommate Morgan about all the different guys I had dated since I had been at college.
(Looking back, I don't know what I was thinking while I dated a few of them)
I remember listening to the song "Hey There Delilah" and told her I wanted to date a guy in a band! That way he could write a bunch of cute love songs about me.
I was really self-absorbed.
Periodically throughout the month of September, my roommate Rei would invite me to all these activities and would want me to come hang out with some of the guys in our ward.
I always declined- I wasn't into watching The Office or going to random parties.
Apparently, Kevin had noticed me and befriended my roommate Rei. And of course, Rei, being the coolest person around, picked up on Kevin's interest in me. Hence the reason she invited me on all her outings when Kevin would be present.
I had met Kevin briefly a few times before I noticed him.
We were both at the opening ward social. I wasn't planning on going, but since everyone else was going, I tagged along. I figured it would be worth it for some free food! After eating many, many cookies (yum), Ximena and I left. Kevin was too chicken to come introduce himself to me and I wasn't at the social that long anyways. When Ximena and I got back, we decided to go longboarding! On our way out of the complex we ran into Rei and some other people from our ward- Kevin and his roommate Dane. So of course, we got sucked into a conversation consisting of Rei trying to get us to come to the creamery instead of longboarding.
No thanks!
All we wanted to do was longboard. In fact, Kevin has told me since then that he tried talking to me at that time, and said I ignored him. I don't believe him. I am not that mean of a person to just completely ignore someone who is speaking to me. So he must have whispered and I didn't hear him. Finally, Ximena and I went longboarding.
Another time I was face to face with Kevin, was when he and Dane came over to introduce themselves as my home teachers. Coincidentally, Kevin was assigned as my home teacher- riiiiight. It was kind of late and I was in the middle of getting ready for bed, so you can only imagine how excited I was for my home teachers to show up unexpectedly. Even at this point, I still didn't really notice Kevin, let alone remember him.
Finally, some of the girls in the ward were throwing a B-day party at our apartment. I actually forgot about the plan, and by the time I got home from the gym, the party had started. And I looked oh-so-lovely post gym. I hung around anyways. Kevin and Dane reintroduced themselves to me again. The convo was quick and I continued to make my way around the room, not thinking twice about Kevin.
A few weeks later, the Sunday for our Stake Conference. I decided that I didn't want to sit in the hard chairs of the Smith Fieldhouse and choose to stay at home. (So bad I know). I had also successfully convinced Rei to stay with me. However, an hour later she was dressed for church and on her way out! What the heck!? She told me that Kevin convinced her to go.
"Who the heck is Kevin!?"
Later that day, some people were watching the Da Vinci Code across the hall. Rei called me to come join everyone. I was in the middle of doing my laundry and I had seen that movie so many times. But for some reason I accepted her invitation and joined everyone. Since I had taken New Testament the semester before and had an awesome teacher, I commented on some of the parts of the movie that related to what I had learned. I was laying on the ground and just speaking to be speaking; not really expecting people to comment back. After a while, I noticed that some guy was talking back to me. Hmmm... interesting.
So I looked back to see who it was.
It was kind of dark in the room, but there was still enough light for me to "check him out". A blonde, with the hip black-framed glasses, fo-hawk, still in church clothes, cute baby blue tie, and seemed kinda tall. Hmm... interesting.
Maybe some potential here.
After the movie, I quickly headed back to my apartment. I told this guy who I had been dating that he could come over and hang out with me and my roommate and her boyfriend. We all hung out for a while and then he had to leave to go to ward prayer.
After he left, I went straight back over to the apartment where everyone was watching the movie. He was still there. This time the lights were on; even better. I got a better look at this guy and noticed he had these pretty pale blue eyes. Ouuuh I am a sucker for pretty eyes. I continued to "check him out". He was talking to someone else so I could take a good look. Along with his pretty blue eyes, he and a cute smile and nice straight teeth. Bingo! Now it was time to get the low down.
By then it was almost 9pm, so everyone headed down for ward prayer. I made sure I was standing next to Rei- I had a lot of questions to ask. Right away I asked her about who that one guy was and if he was single. She looked at me all wide-eyed with a huge grin on her face.
I was confused.
She went on to tell me that he was the guy she was trying to introduce me to and hang out with and that his name is Kevin. She continued on saying that he was interested in me and that I had met him before. I didn't even realize this was the same guy who I had seen and that he was my home teacher.
So far, so good. Maybe this guy has potential. And he is already interested!
After ward prayer, I grabbed my refreshment treat and headed back up to my apartment. I had to tell Morgan! She was in the kitchen with Shane and I started to tell her about this cute guy in the ward. I described him and told her everything Rei told me. Rei even walked in during the conversation and informed me he was in a band. How funny! She said he played the drums though. She told us a few other things about Kevin before she left. Morgan finally said, " I don't know Lisa, he doesn't seem like your type". I agreed with her. He didn't seem like the guys I had dated in the past. But then I began to think..."Well maybe that is why all those guys didn't work out! Maybe he is my type!" As we were speaking, Kevin walked into our apartment! I froze. Did he just hear what we were talking about?! He asked if we had seen Rei and threw something in our trash.
(Picture me totally frozen, wide-eyed, and sitting on the table.)
Soon after he left. Of course, Morgan realized he was Kevin.
So after having some more girl talk about this new guy I was interested in, I thought I would
go for it.
I was part of the activities committee and we had a meeting planned for that night after ward prayer. When I went over to the apartment where it was taking place, Kevin was there. Perfect. Rei told me about how she wanted to have Kevin's band play at the Halloween party. So he stayed for the meeting. I was a little skeptical about his whole band thing.
Where they all wannabe rockstars? What kind of music did they play?
His band could really be a determining factor. Throughout the meeting, I payed particularly close attention to Kevin when he spoke. I noticed some of his mannerisms, the way he sat, the way he spoke, how he responded to others. I am a huge people watcher, so I have a ton of little things I notice about people when they speak.
After the meeting, we all hung around and I was able to find out a little bit about Kevin...
From California (good- mom will be happy)
Goes to BYU (good)
Served a mission (good)
Okay, those are only like 3 things, but still some of the most important.
After that, someone suggested playing a game. I saw Disney Scene It laying on the ground and suggested we play it. I love all the Scene It games and have not played the Disney one before. During the game, I remember trying to talk more to Kevin. I kind of got a vibe like he wasn't interested in me! He like didn't do the whole, look me in the eye, or stare at me a second extra.
What the heck?! Was he really that into the game?!
After the game, it had gotten pretty late, so it was time to go back to my apartment. I was a little confused because Rei said he was interested in me, but Kevin wasn't acting like it. Back at our apartment, Rei and I continued talking about Kevin. I guess the night before, he decided that he wasn't going to waste his time with me anymore.
But I never had the chance!
I still had hope and was determined to make Kevin be interested in me again.
And THAT was the first day I noticed
Kevin.

cute story - good to know since i never did find out :)
ReplyDeleteThis was the cutest story ever! I was waiting for you to keep going at the end ! :)
ReplyDeleteI loved it! BUT..What did you do to get him interested again??? Lisa you need to finish the story!!! You left me hanging!!! I know he didn't propose then next time he saw you! or did he???
ReplyDeleteLisa I love and miss you! This was totally a good story! Remember how you told me that i was responsible for your eternal salvation? LOL..... Love you guys
ReplyDeleteIm glad that everything turned out exactly how you wanted.....You and Kevin were meant to be together! Good thing I was there to speed up the process LOL.....love you
ReplyDelete